Monday, November 16, 2009

Smile

I finally renewed my drivers license last week. It's been on my to do list for WAY to long. I braved the DMV with two little kids and maintained a positive and cheerful attitude the whole time. The kids did great, the wait wasn't unbearable, and the lady at the counter almost looked me in the eye. (I try to make eye contact with people, but they don't always engage.) I had all the right paperwork, and all I needed to do was take the photo. Everyone knows the picture is never a great one, but at least there's a smile. Not anymore...her instructions were not to smile and keep my lips together. The first shot I eeked out a tiny smile, but she firmly reminded me not to smile. So I put my lips together and tried to focus on not smiling, it's harder than you might think. She said thank you and I'd get my license in the mail in a week or so. I went on my way feeling confident.
Well, the mail came today with my license. I eagerly opened the envelope and KA-BLAMO, I look terrible! Forgive my vanity, but this is the worst picture of me that I've ever seen. If a stranger were to look at it and judge what my career might be they might say, a bouncer at a bar downtown or a dock worker. All I can do is put in my wallet and try not to get a ticket on sheer fear that I'll have to pull that puppy out and hand in to the officer and wait for him to shudder. No matter what kind of cheek bones you have or how full your lips are, a smile goes a long way.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

That's the new way to reduce speeding, by fear of having to show your picture! It's all on premeditaded!!!

Kelli Brewer said...

Oh yeah... don't they tell you not to smile now for some terrorist reason or something crazy? That stinks!

Adrian said...

Good grief. I'm with Vanessa, it's all a conspiracy to keep us from speeding. (Not that it will work with me...) :)

The Campbell Family said...

this post made me laugh! I'm sure it's not that bad. If you ever do get a ticket just tell the policeman proudly that you are a "ninja mom!"